Friday, April 9, 2010

...and please help me not to go insane.

so these really were the last words of my bedtime prayers.

i feel like im going to go crazy!

I am potty training Ryah and yes... it really is that bad. It is so frustrating cleaning up so many messes! its been 2 and a half days and she's gone in the toilet twice. and she pees 7 to 8 times between her nap schedule...so you can see how many messes im cleaning up. ( and thats not including the poop.) Being a mom is tough stuff. I am tottaly up for suggestions!

Please... someone help me.

the way i've been doing it: putting her in panties only, and letter her run around in them. When she pees in the toilet she gets a treat, when she pees in her panties, she gets her bum sprayed off with cold water.

Does it get better?
Does it take a long time for them to get it?
Is she too young? Too old? (22 months)
Am I doing this right?
help?

12 comments:

Andrea Gunnell said...

I can't say that I can be a lot of help but my advice would be to wait a little longer. If she is fighting it and not showing interest than it will be much more difficult. I'm sorry it's been so hard!

Logan & Lindy said...

I potty trained Brooklyn SUPER early... Like 18 months it took a while but she got it!! It took over a week for her to get it. I pretty much potty trained Brooklyn the same way. I set the timer for EVERY 30 min to an hour for a while asked her do you need to go pee pee and explained you CANT pee pee or you will have to have a cold bath to get the pee off. What worked for Brooklyn is we tried to "listen for pee pee" (It made her sit on the toilet longer) We Read Book on the potty chair. But she finally figured out being washed off in cold water was not fun and peeing in the toilet was alot easier. I did a sticker chart it worked alot better for Brooklyn. Then when she had a full chart of stickers we went to the STORE ONLY for her to buy a prize for being a big girl. If she isnt progressing with less accidents in the next few days then she just might not be ready. I REALLY think if you can handle it keep going!!

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

I obviously don't know anything about this, but I got to witness my sister inlaw potty train her 4th child and it was amazing. He was older so it might not work as well but she sat him on a baby potty seat in front of a movie ALL DAY. He just sat there and watched whatever he wanted for hours on the potty. Then, when he tinkled in the potty he had to go tell her, and she would give him 2 things: chips and soda. The chips to make him thirsty and the soda to make him have to go again. Then the cycle repeated until he knew what it felt like to go in the toilet, what it felt like to actually have to go, and stuff like that. He was potty trained in one day. He was also probably sick of tv and chips and soda which is a plus too. Have no idea if that would help but she potty trained all her kids in 1 day. Good luck!

Tiffany Matthews said...

Everyone I talked to when I was trying to potty train Ryan was they will show you when they are ready. I tried it for a week and he showed interest for a day but then he was done. So I waited another few weeks and tried agian. This went on for a couple of months and then all of a sudden he just did it on his own. Good luck I hate potty training.

Tarrah said...

I would wait a little longer, too. I tried Tytan at 23 months. I did everything - rewards, sticker chart, cold water, etc., but he was not ready. It was more of a battle with me. So, I tried again at 2 1/2, and it was perfect. It took only 3 days for him to get it. My other two were the same. Trey, my best experience, had only one accident before he got it. I firmly believe that they'll let you know when they are ready.

Tammy said...

This is your friendly neighborhood blog stalker Tammy (Mills) :). Something that worked for me is everytime they have a successful trip to the potty they get to light candles,( you can use just use one little birthday candle) sing happy birthday to you and blow it out! Brookes little girl Mia loves it and can't hardly wait to get the next urge. They have to be ready to potty train though or it can be a LONG battle.

taylorfamily said...

Hi, This is Tina Taylor, we used to be in 12th ward (don't know if you remember) Anyways, my son is almost 4 and we tried to push it at 3, boys are usually slower, but my daughter was 3 when she did it and I tried to push her at 2. I have talked to two different early child learning specialists with my situations and the only thing that I learned is that you just can't push them. If they aren't ready then it's just going to be miserable for you and for her. I have known people to do books and videos of potty training and dolls. My sister in law did mnm's (1 for pee and 2 for poop). I'm not sure if any of this helped, I just know it's way easier if you wait until they initiate it. since we waited for my son to be ready, he has been fully potty trained for two weeks and I didn't have to do anything. I just ask if he needs to go (when we are in public) and he does the rest. I have been told by the experts a few tricks that I just remembered, you can try waiting five minutes after she drinks something and put her on the potty and make her sit for 3 minutes; they told us to give him a treat even for sitting, to help motivate him, but we never really did, because it didn't work. Other than that all I can say is hang in there, it will get better as time goes on and if you need it, just take a break for a day. I hope she gets it soon. :)

Kacie said...

Chels~ Tatum was almost 3 when she finally got it. I tried everything I could think of but when they aren't ready its not going to work. I asked the doctor if I should push it with her and they said it would only make it worse if she wasn't showing the signs of being ready. She is still young. I am wanting to work on Gracie now because she wants to sit on the potty all day and is interested, but its such a job. I feel your pain! Good luck!

cosmo and jenn said...

I dont have kids, but my brother and sis-in-law potty trained their son at 18 months and it seemed to work... They spent a whole entire day with him in the bathroom. they had toys, and treats, and a little tv with movies, and they played all day in the bathroom so they were right there when he needed to go. Every time he went, they made a HUGE deal. they called grandparents and aunts and uncles and he got to tell them he used the potty, and he got a present to open or a big treat. But they said you have to have nothing else planned that day because they went into the bathroom when he woke up, and stayed there until he went to bed. Then they said the next day they would remind him every half hour and ask if he needed to go. If he had an accident, they never made it a negative thing, but would run him to the bathroom (even though he already went), and be like "ooh hurry!! we've got to use the potty!" and they would have him sit there for a few minutes just to associate the two things. They would set an alarm during the night, and they would wake him up and take him to the bathroom.
hope that helps... I just know they were really successful with it all. GOOD LUCK!

Kachelle said...

there's really no age thats the best. it depends on the child. she might just need more time to be ready. she's still adjusting to not being the only child. i've potty trained 4 now. some kids the negitive reinforcement doesn't work at all. they need positive only. keep her naked. seriously, don't let her wear panties untill she's got it. naked and lots of treats worked for me every time. don't do anything but potty training utill she's got it.
good luck!!!!!!!!!

Moore Fun said...

Hey Chelsea! Congrats on your new little! I had no clue you were even pregnant! Sorry, I have no advice on potty training. I am dreading it with Brady! Good luck. :)

Sandi said...

Just keep that prayer on speed dial cause you're going to need it, especially if you keep having girls..hahaha look at everyone else being so positive and helpful. and then theres me!