Tuesday, June 21, 2011

i see beauty all around


For the past week I have been wondering if the world will ever look like this again... And for the past week, everyday I get a more and more confirmed answer it is more beautiful then ever...


For those of you who may be out of the loop, Joe and I have news our baby boy will have a severe heart condition called hypoplastic left heart syndrome. I have felt so many emotions in this past week then I have ever felt in my entire life. How it started:

I got my first ultrasound Thursday June 9, we found out it was a boy and we were both so thrilled at the news. Obviously the ultrasound tech can't tell us she found any problems so we both figured everything was perfect. We left for lake Powell that Saturday and I got a phone call from the medical center in Snowflake on Wednesday telling me I needed to schedule an appointment for an ultrasound. I was confused and told the receptionist I had just had my ultrasound, the she became confused and asked me, "have you not talked to the doctor"? Then I had to wait two hours for him to call back. This whole time I was freaking out wondering what in the world was going on. The Dr. then called me back explaining what they saw on the ultrasound and that I needed to go in for a second look. My second ultrasound was then scheduled on the following Monday in Mesa.

Thank you everyone who fasted and prayed for us. We could definitely feel your love and prayers. We felt very comforted and felt peace in a time of chaos. 

So Joe and I drove down to Mesa Monday morning and took more pictures talked to the Dr. and he basically confirmed everything the radiologist here had saw. It had been really difficult knowing our baby will have to go through so much to survive, but we know he is a fighter and we are ready and willing to take on whatever our Heavenly Father has in store for us. Later that evening on the drive home, we stopped to get gas and Joe had suggested I go to the   bathroom so we didn't have to stop in Payson. As I got out of the car Joe had called me back because he thought I spilled something on my nice clean white pants. As I walked back we both realized it wasn't a spill but I was bleeding. So we rushed home in time to get to the Dr. and by the time we got there I was really bleeding. He sent us right up to the hospital, he had thought my membrane had ruptured. He gave us the possibility of us delivering that night with the chances of the baby not making it. So Joe and I were preparing and exerting everything we had for loosing our baby. When we got to the hospital we went right back and found ourselves in a whole new level of emotions. They took the first test to see if there was amniotic fluid and it came back positive. To us and medically this basically meant the baby had to be out it 24 hours. My dad and Joe gave me a beautiful blessing and I felt very comforted and loved. The ultrasound tech came in and threw us for a whole new loop. He said the amniotic fluid levels were fine, the baby was still moving around in there. Which we all could feel. Everyone got to feel him. He saw that the placenta had moved and was now covering my cervix. This presented a whole new problem called placenta previa. They said as long as I'm not leaking fluid and I can feel the baby I can go home. Now I am on bed rest until they know what to do with me... Joe and I are still a little confused about the whole thing, but we know the Lord is in control and He has power over all things. We have been very humbled and have truly felt everyone's prayers. We thank you for everyone who has offered to help and who has taken our girls and brought us food. It really is humbling when you have zero control. 

Joe and I cant express how much we already love this baby boy. He has already taught us faith, love, and is still teaching us patience. I have felt my Saviors love and realize how many blessing I have. There truly is beauty all around me. I know I am being molded into what Heavenly Father wants me to be. It has been really hard, and I'm pretty sure I cry constantly still, but I do have faith in my Savior and I know he has a plan for this baby boy of ours. As of now thank you all again for everything. Our family has felt all of your prayers and fasts, we love you and I will keep updating every time I find out something new so no one gets left in the dark.


keeping the faith

18 comments:

Larson Family said...

I am so sorry to hear all this. We will keep you in our prayers. Good luck with everything!

kate said...

Love you so much Chels.

Hiatt Family said...

I had no idea. I'm so, so sorry. When you talked about how much you both already love your son, it hit close to home. We felt so close to Jackson, even though we'd never met him. We love you guys. Chelsea, please know that I am here if you ever need to talk!

Unknown said...

i dont even have words to explain how i feel for you and your sweet family. we are sending prayers your way!! I am so glad you have the gospel to support you during this beyond difficult situation.

with my first ultrasound with bentley they thought i had placenta previa, and eventually the placenta moved up. i hope the same thing is possible for you. glad you have good drs taking care of you and a lovely family!

love you guys!

Andrea Gunnell said...

Chelsea...
When I read your first paragraph my heart skipped a beat! Did you know that Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) is the condition our sweet Kyson has? If you need someone to talk to...CALL ME! I'm not sure if you have my number so if you don't email me, and I'll give you my number. My email address is apgunnell {at} gmail {dot} com. I'm not sure how far along you are but if you have questions about HLHS I have a lot of answers! I can tell you the best doctors (at least my favorite), the best cardiologists (again at least my favorite) and so much more.
I'll be thinking about you and will send many prayers your way.

Jaime S. said...

love ya chel. i'm glad to know that all this is going on so i can start praying for you. we worry about our little ones so much. i am going for a 2nd ultra sound to screen for down syndrome. we won't know for sure until the baby gets here but there have been a few concerns. love ya and we'll learn so much from our babies.

Danielle Christene said...

We are praying for your sweet little family. There are amazing drs out there who can do amazing things. Hang in there!

kasey kaufusi said...

chels i love you! i had no idea! you will be in my families prayers!

Bekah: said...

I love you. You and Joe are amazing and I'm in continued awe at how you handle challenges. There truly is beauty all around. You are beautiful.

Bekah: said...

I love you. You and Joe are amazing and I'm in continued awe at how you handle challenges. There truly is beauty all around. You are beautiful.

Burky's said...

You are in our prayers! You are all so strong as is that little boy!

Spoiled Eggs said...

So sorry to hear about this Chelsea. Your upbeat attitude and your faith will absolutely get you through this. We'll be praying for you and your family.

Brette said...

So sorry to hear Chelsea.. Your in our prayers too!

Megan said...

I had no idea. I am so sorry!! You and our little family are in our prayers! You guys are amazing and your faith and optimism astounds me

Caldwells said...

How hard! We have been praying for you guys. Hang in there. We love you!

Anonymous said...


oh.. so nice post.)
Love your blog.))

I now spend a survey of bloggers with such questions.
1. Why did you create a blog?
2. For whom you taking him? Want to be popular?
3. How long will it keep going?

Krista said...

I love you Sis. It really breaks my heart i can't be there to help in anyway. I know the Lord only gives it to those who can handle it, and you are amazing! I am in awe at what a wonderful, full of faith, down right good person you are! miss you!

Andrew and Jena said...

Oh Chelsea I'm so sorry! Hang in there honey, you are so strong and he seems to be a fighter! Good luck, I hope all goes well and you and your cute family will be in our prayers!